There’s no surefire way to fireproof your home. However, you can still make sure that you don’t have hazards in your home. A lot of fires have been caused by electrical hazards. Here are some of them and some tips to deal with them.
- Extension cords top this list. Avoid overloading electrical outlets. As much as possible use only one appliance per extension cord.
- Another careless use of extension cords is running them under rugs. Sure, it makes it inconspicuous but you’re just creating a fire hazard. Get an expert to do rerouting for you. There are safe and aesthetic ways to get a socket over at another location in your home.
- Always make sure you are plugging into the socket with the matching voltage with the appliance. Good thing many appliances are now set to auto-voltage.
- Check curtains and drapes to make sure they don’t interfere with any electrical wiring.
- Another major cause of house fires is unprotected portable space heaters. Get a model that has an automatic tip-over shut-off feature and protective grills around heating parts.
- Make sure all your circuit breakers and fuses are working and of the proper amperage.
- Have a qualified electrician to go over your house’s electrical work once a year. Insulations can deteriorate or be damaged by pests. Better be safe than sorry.
Check your appliances’ electrical cords for any sign of deterioration. Check the plugs to if they snugly fit your sockets. Likewise check you sockets for any sign of damage.