How to Make Homemade Fruit-Tree Bug Trap
Fruit flies and yellowjackets can ruin your otherwise blooming orchard. Spraying fruits with chemicals is an alternative but quite unhealthy and dangerous. The best way to get rid off bugs will always be through natural means. Here’s a neat bug trap you can make on your own using all-natural materials (save for a bit of reusing).
What you need:
A 2-liter plastic bottle
1 banana peel
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
A strong string or twine
What to do:
- Mix the sugar and vinegar in a separate container. This would make a thick and viscous mix.
- Slice the banana peel into strips and insert the slices into the bottle.
- Pour the sugar-vinegar syrup into the bottle with the banana peel.
- Fill the bottle with water up to around 2 inches from the neck.
- Tie the string around the bottle’s neck.
- Hang on the lower branch of a tree.
Flies and other creepy creepers will find the banana (which will ferment) and the sweet syrup more attractive than the fruit or tree sap. Once they fly inside, they’d get trapped in the sticky mixture.
April 9, 2007 Monday at 7:12 pm