I’ve never been pepper sprayed and thank goodness I’ve never been. Some wannabe Jackass cast member friends of mine tried it out once and they swear they don’t want to be sprayed again. Must be some smartening experience, huh?
But if you’re unfortunate to be sprayed accidentally, here are first aid steps to pepper spray exposure (unless you’re a mugger and you probably deserve it):
- Don’t panic.
- Calm the patient.
- Expose the patient to fresh air. A fan can also be used.
- Call for emergency medical personnel if available.
- Flush affected areas with lots of cool water.
- Clean the affected area with non-oil-based soap.
- If eyes are exposed, flush with cool, fresh water or sterile saline solution for 15 minutes.
- Remove contaminated clothing and contact lenses.
- If assisting, wear rubber gloves to prevent contamination.
- If any irritation or pain persists, consult your medical practitioner.