Hiccups happen when the diaphragm is irritated in some way, making its muscles contract and produce a ‘hic’ sound. Irritations can come from being over full when eating, or when you drink too much alcohol or carbonated drinks, or when you suddenly cough, etc.
There are a lot of ways hiccups can be cured, some are quirky, and some practical. Some might work, and some might not. Here are some examples of them:
- Drink a couple of glasses of water continuously and swallowing at a smooth and even pace.
- Gargle warm water with salt for 5-10 minutes.
- Do breathing exercises, trying to hold your breath for as long as possible.
- Breathe deeply into a paper bag.
- Press a cold compress against your diaphragm for 15 minutes.
- Sipping peppermint or lemon tea.
If hiccups last for more than 3 hours, and there are other symptoms as well, consult your doctor.