How to Avoid Pests for Your Home-Grown Foods
Home-grown foods can give you the assurance that all the ingredients from your home garden are safe and natural. To keep pests at bay, try our home-gardening tips.
- As much as possible, avoid pesticides. Opt to grow plants and bright colored flowers to atract insects away from your home crop.
- Fragrant plants can also attract pests away from tour other home crop as well.
- Surround the garden with thick hedge. This will attract birds that can eat all the slugs and insects before they ruin your fruit and vegetable crops.
- Dig a pond anywhere on your home garden. This will attract frogs and toads which can help lower the number of slugs in your garden
- Place logs around the garden to shelter beetles since they can prey on pests as well
- To avoid weeds, place mulching material composed of natural bark or wood chippings on the ground. These can also bring nutrients to the soil as well.
- Place a fine-mesh cloth on top of plants to keep tem away from flies and butterflies without hindering their growth.
March 22, 2011 Tuesday at 4:35 pm